Due to the fact that most of us here are from Winnipeg, the guidelines will be based mainly on experiences of people living in Manitoba (MB). The advice will be helpful to anyone, though, no matter where you’re going to live. The guidelines will also be continuously updated with information from both MB and other provinces.


Renting a flat/room – what to pay attention to:

  • Before you decide to rent a flat/room, it’s worth checking if there are no bugs in it, which is quite a common issue in Winnipeg, unfortunately. More about it here.

„The blacklist” is available on the „THE BEDBUG REGISTRY” site: 

  • Before you get the flat keys, you need to check thoroughly if it’s clean. You need to report each stain, every tiny whole in the wall, broken lamp. It’s also a good practice to move the fridge and oven to check if it’s also clean behind them. When you move out, the person dealing with rented flats also checks if the flat is clean – if it’s not, the money to clean it will be deducted from your deposit. 

Buying a car

  • When buying a car from a private person, you need to add a provincial tax to the price and you will pay it when registering the car. When buying the car from the dealer, there is both the state and provincial tax added to the price and both are payable to the dealer. 
  • I don’t recommend using the services of people advertising in kijiji saying they will help with purchasing a car (Chris’s subjective opinion – it was a bad experience for him).

A car accident

  • If you take part in a car accident, you need to take a picture of the driver’s driving licence and their car’s documents (registration etc.). It’s also worth remembering the time and place of the accident since you will need this information when reporting damage in MPI (in MB) [if you take pics with a smartphone, the location, together with date and time are usually saved in the picture’s details anyway].         

    Any damage needs to be reported to the insurance company. If the car can still be driven, we get an appointment for the damage assessment. The car needs to be clean (at least in the part that needs to be examined). The expert will estimate the damage and you will get documents allowing for the car repair at any car service. The whole process is cashless (MPI pays for the repair directly to the company you’ve chosen). If any car part had had any previous damages, they will also be included in the estimate but you will need to pay for them yuorself.

    If the car cannot be driven, MPI (in MB) sends a tow truck and you will receive expert’s opinion by phone. It’s worth to have the “substitute car” option available because then, when you report the damage and get the case number, you can quote this number at any car rental and rent a car in a cashless way. You will need a credit card (apart from your driver’s licence).

    When reporting an accident, you’ll be asked if you had your glasses damaged (MPI will refund the new ones), if there was a child car seat there (regardless if there was a crash and it’s broken or if it was just a minor accident and the car seat looks ok, it needs to be immediately replaced and you need to bring the old seat, together with the receipt, to the MPI. The cost of the new car seat will be refinded to you.). If you or any person accompanying you during the accident had any injuries, you will be redirected to another person who will assess your state and you will be given another case number. You can visit a physiotherapist and thanks to this number you will have a therapy cashlessly (commuting to them can also be refunded by MPI but we will need to prove all expenses in the end).

    In case of a major injury that doesn’t allow you to work, you need to visit a doctor asap and get a doctor’s note. If you miss 8 days of work and are on a sick leave, MPI starts paying you 90% of your daily rate for every missed workday (the leave needs to be uniterrupted).

Car insurance

Car insurance, same as other matters connected with your car, is administered by MPI (in MB). In order to register a car “for good”, you will need a so-called “safety” so an up-to-date car check. The insurance cost is around C$130-190 per month (almost twice this price in ON).

When buying a car privately, you can delay paying the state tax for the car purchase. There is a possibility of having a temporary car registration, a so-called “temporary permit”. You don’t have to pay the tax then but the monthly costs of car insurance are slightly higher. One person can have max 3 temporary permits per year. You can choose the term of the permit yourself (from a couple days to 30 days). That means that one person can use a temporary permit for a maximum of 90 days in a year. You don’t have registration plates then but only a piece of paper on the window.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *